Thursday, February 11, 2010

Music makes the people come together

One of the best performances I’ve seen while at Ohio University is watching the Marching 110. Whether it’s at a football game, the homecoming parade or the convocation ceremony for freshmen, the marching band never ceases to put on an amazing show.

Ohio University created a marching band in 1923, but it wasn’t until 1967 that the Marching 110 took the energetic form of a show-style band we know and love today.

What interests me most about the marching band is the fact that many if not most of the members of the 110 are not music or art majors. Being in such a widely recognized band is a very time consuming activity, but there is obviously a draw for those who are passionate about performing.

I recently spoke with Alyssa Mehling, saxophone player and administrative assistant for the Marching 110, via e-mail. Mehling, a senior public relations major, auditioned for the band the summer before her freshman year “on a whim,” and hasn’t looked back ever since.

“I've had so much fun with the Marching 110,” Mehling said. “Besides the friends I've made there, I've traveled to Alabama, Illinois, Michigan, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, New York and California. I've performed half-time shows for The Cleveland Browns, The Cincinnati Bengals and The New York Giants. I watched my OU football team almost beat the Buckeyes. The places this band has taken me over the past four years are places I would have never found myself in otherwise. The band can be a lot of work and time, but the euphoria I feel after an incredible performance is always worth it.”

For junior integrated language arts major, Tyler Charles, being a part of the Marching 110 is all about the connections to others, a dedication and passion for the university and a love of music.

“I didn't realize how much I would love the 110 when I first went to training week as a freshman. It's to the point where I can't even consider what my life would be like if I didn't do it,” Charles said. “I wouldn't have the friends I have now, or the sense of pride for my school, or the discipline to achieve the goals I set for myself everyday. In 20 years, I want to be able to look back on my time at OU and think, ‘Those were the best times of my life, and this helped make me the person I am today.’”

This pride for the university is evident, especially on Homecoming weekend. During the parade, alumni of the Marching 110 play with the current members. It is without a doubt the biggest crowd pleaser of the day and is a very unique experience even from the audience. As I stood on the hillside of Scripps Hall watching both bands perform this year I was caught off guard not only by the amount of talent but by the dedication and passion for the marching band that still exists for members even after graduation.

I leave you with a clip from a halftime show last fall during which the Marching 110 performed an amazing rendition of "Smooth Criminal."

0 comments:

Post a Comment