Friday, February 5, 2010

Art is in the eye of the beholder

I recently visited the Multicultural Gallery in Baker University Center, which is currently home to the second annual “Women of Appalachia” art exhibit. The display is a collaborative of Appalachian women who have come together to celebrate their creations, but also to provide a place of comfort and companionship to each other in a unique way. (For more background on the group, visit their Web site.)

I got to the gallery around 11 a.m. and was the only person visiting it at the time. The first thing I noticed was how open it seemed—there were two sets of doors open and, while there was a lot of art on display, the room was free of clutter and created a very inviting atmosphere.

It was neat experiencing the exhibit as the only observer. I’ve visited many galleries with friends or family, and somehow I always feel rushed to move on to the next display at the same pace as those I am with, which doesn’t allow me to take in the art as fully as I would like. My experience in the Multicultural Gallery was refreshing in that I observed at my own pace, spent more time with pieces I connected with and skipped over those that didn’t seem to speak to me artistically.

Below is a sample of the art displayed in the gallery:



While the pieces were all very different, the general feeling I got from all the art was a feeling of strength, pride and support that accompanies the camaraderie between the women behind the art.

3 comments:

Beth Lipton said...

I've seen a couple small ads for this exhibit but I hadn't heard of anyone that had gone to it. Seems interesting.

Patrick Doyle said...

A ha! It seems when I initially made my comment that I forget the second step of typing the password below in. Regardless, I really enjoyed the pictures that you posted and the fact that you got to see the exhibit without having to navigate through a sea of people is awesome. Do you know how long the exhibit is in Baker for?

Ashley Showen said...

The exhibit will be in Baker until March 19. You should check it out in person if you get a chance. My pictures don't do it justice!

Post a Comment