Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Finding art where I least expected it

As I’ve grown up, I keep refining my definition of “art” and what it takes to be an “artist” and questioning whether or not I can describe myself as an “artist.” Yes, I love performing and I have done so for as long as I can remember, but I’m beginning to realize that performing or painting or directing or dancing are not the only things that qualify as art.

I’ve talked a lot about this in my blog (see “What does art mean to you?”) and have been amazed at the responses I’ve gotten from fellow students about their definitions of art, and the responses have really opened up my eyes to something I never realized before.

My new definition of “art”: there is no definition. Art is everywhere, and usually in places where we least expect it. I’ve heard time and again in my journalism classes that journalism is about telling a story, and I listen and nod my head that I agree, and it finally hit me: this is my new art.

Art is all about telling a story. Everyone has a story, but tells it in a different way. As I’ve gotten more involved in my major and really had the chance to experience pretty technical writing, I’ve started to find the art of crafting a message. The feeling that I get when I piece together the words just right to encompass the story in the best possible way, I feel like I just painted a Mona Lisa.

I truly miss performing on stage and wouldn’t trade the experiences I had growing up in the theater, but I know I’m starting a new chapter of my life. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I may not have time to participate in theater for a while, but I’ve found I love public relations almost as much as I love being on stage.

I think whatever our true passion is in life is becomes our art. Some of us may take longer to figure it out, while others of us are lucky to find our niche quickly.

I challenge you to find your art, and don’t let anyone else define it for you.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. What is your art?

1 comments:

Sandi M. Combs said...

Interesting post Ashley. I feel the same way especially now that we've gotten into more advanced PR classes and hold PR positions on campus. I've been really excited lately about how much we've grown with respect to our skills and knowledge. Many may not realize it, but communications is art in it's use of strategy and creativity, so thanks for shedding light on that.

Post a Comment